Cowichan Lake and River Stewardship Society



Report a Riparian Zone Violation

It gives us great grief to hear reports of damage to the riparian zone of the River or Lake.  The CLRSS works extremely hard to fulfill its mandate to educate and inform people about good River and Lake riparian zone practices.  From time to time we are approached by members of the public who inform us of a serous riparian violation that they have observed and they ask us to do something about it. 

Enforcing riparian legislation is beyond our mandate and also beyond our resources.  However, if you observe some violation of riparian regulations we do strongly encourage you to do something about it.  "What can I do?" you may ask.  Here are some tips:

Salmon Related Violations

These should be reported to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada.  Leave a detailed message with your contact information on their Observe Record and Report hot line at:


Fisheries, Wildlife or Environmental Protection Violations

The Government of BC has set up a program to allow you to easily make reports.  It is called RAPP  - Report All Poachers and Polluters.

From the title, it is not immediately obvious that RAPP applies to riparian issues however according to the RAPP website:

The RAPP program is a toll free tip line and online service that allows you to report known or suspected violations of fisheries, wildlife, or environmental protection laws anonymously and without risk of confronting the offender.

The RAPP website explains the details of what to record and what to report.

Bylaw Violations

To make a complaint relating to CVRD Bylaws, it is required that you provide your name, address and phone number as well as a description of the alleged offence and the location (address) where it took place.  This information is kept confidential and is subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy act.

Bylaw complaints may be made:

  • in person

  • in writing / email

  • by phone

For current details on how to contact the CVRD's bylaw enforcement department, visit their CVRD website at: and enter "bylaw enforcement" in the Custom Search box.  You will also find information there on how complaints are dealt with and how enforcement is achieved.


So, if you see something please do report it and please let us know about it as well!

For problems or questions regarding this web contact the webmaster.
Last updated: 09/10/18.